Once Inc. (ONCE®) is a global leader and innovative developer of agricultural-specific animal-centric lighting systems and bio-security products. Headquartered in Plymouth, Minnesota, the fast-paced company is seeking an Electronic Design Engineering Intern to support the engineering department. The person in this role should be able to actively participate in engineering duties and assist the engineers in the development of circuitries for solid state illumination devices.
The Electronic Design Engineering Intern role requires an individual who can work on-site in Plymouth, Minnesota, where they will make a great impact on the ONCE® team. The person hired should expect to work on projects cross-functionally with electrical, mechanical and manufacturing engineers, while actively participating in projects focused on testing, validating and continuously improving new and existing product lines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This flexible, Electronic Design Engineering Internship, position will have responsibilities that are compromised of the design and development of electronic control systems driving LED light sources for various lighting applications, including product designs, reviews and concepts.
- Learn products and concepts rapidly
- Safely, expediently and accurately perform testing on products
- Make required design adjustments to tune and optimize circuits
- Participate in individual and team idea generation
- Bring knowledge and experience to the table—if you don’t know it, take on the challenge to learn and share it
- Create technical reports and schematic diagrams
- Participate in all portions of the product design/development cycle
- Perform electrical troubleshooting
- Perform optical and thermal tests
- Assemble circuits and debug electronics and circuits
- Participate in firmware and software generation
- Assist in process validations for products, including the preparation of work instructions, procurement of materials, and resolution of issues as they arise in a build.
- Identify and test alternative components
- Create testing plans and documents
- Assist with trade show booth electrical needs, using creativity and expertise to develop easy-to reassemble and easy-to understand display components.
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Quick to learn the proper use of standard test equipment: oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, and electronic loads
- Experience within programming helpful
- Experience with design verification testing helpful
- Understanding of terminology is critical
- Course work in analog circuit design
- Understand component functionality of FETs, MOSFETs, IGBTs, Bipolar Transistors, TVS, etc.
- Experience with Altium Designer a plus
- Even the best qualifications are not as important as attitude, participation and commitment.
- Enrollment in Electrical or Electronics Engineer Bachelor’s program preferred
Physical Job Requirements
- The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Standing/sitting 8+ hours per day
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently job mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer and communicate with peers and co-workers.
Interested applicants who fit the job criteria (requirements listed at https://scitechmn.org/students/ ) should register and submit a resume and cover letter through SciTechsperience at https://scitechmn.org/.
Salary / Benefits
This is a paid internship based on experience level.
Equal Opportunity Employer
ONCE® relies on dedicated teams of professionals who develop and maintain our global business operations, helping us identify trends and plan for the future. ONCE® is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.