Once Inc. (ONCE®) is a global leader and innovative developer of agricultural-specific animal-centric lighting systems and bio-security products. Headquartered in Plymouth, Minnesota, the fast-paced company is seeking an Electronic Design Engineer to support the engineering department. The person in this role should be able to design, develop, modify and evaluate circuitries for solid state illumination devices under minimal supervision.
The Electronic Design Engineer will play a key role on the ONCE® team and is expected to work on projects cross-functionally with the team consisting of electrical, mechanical and manufacturing engineers, as well as key members of sales and marketing.
This full-time, Electronic Design Engineer, position requires an individual who can work on-site in Plymouth, Minnesota. The person hired will actively participate in engineering projects, specifically focusing on continuous improvement to existing and new products, while applying best practices across responsibilities throughout the entire product lifecycle.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities are comprised of design and development of electronic control systems driving LED light sources for various lighting applications. Electrical design entails analog/digital design, LED performance study, offline PSU design and EMI & thermal consideration.
New and existing product designs, reviews and concepts:
- Provide information and participate in the estimation of new product ideas and proposals, evaluating complexity, feasibility and cost at the concept state of development.
- Offer innovative solutions to new product ideas, utilizing lowest total system cost approach.
- Identify components during design phase that align with product life-cycle to reduce obsolescence risk.
- Define user needs by working with sales and marketing to develop requirements for new products.
- Work with patent attorney to investigate potential patent infringements and develop new patents.
- Work with operations teams to maintain existing products; resolving issues with vendors, evaluating component alternates, working through material obsolescence, and managing new product revisions.
- Design prototypes, assemble circuits and debug solutions of new and existing products.
- Prepare PCB layouts & generate manufacturing files.
- Participate in the integration of modules, firmware and software to form a product.
- Work with mechanical and software engineers to ensure that all modules will integrate seamlessly.
- Participate in and host design reviews to improve the quality of a design.
- Assist in process validations for products, including the preparation of work instructions, procurement of materials, and resolution of issues as they arise in a build.
- Review designs with marketing to ensure that they meet user requirements.
- Support the setup of product demonstrations, ensuring that customer feedback is used to improve products.
- Assess design, safety, security, and products risk, acting on assessments to reduce risk using PFMEA or similar tools.
- Track progress on project timelines, issues and costs, presenting periodic status updates to supervisor, project teams and/or senior staff.
- Ensure critical progress prohibitors are addressed and resolved in a timely manner
- Plan ahead of time to determine necessary information required from customers to improve products.
- Lead assigned design efforts to maintain or exceed schedule requirements.
- Review concepts by developing and analyzing multiple solutions to user problems, potentially prototyping one or more options to provide proof, while assessing which concepts require further investigation at the beginning of a project.
- Assess difference between design options and make sound choices between the options. Calls upon the correct resources when necessary.
- Identify and assess appropriate suppliers for components.
- Test and qualify component for specific uses.
- Work with suppliers to reduce component and system cost.
- Specify OEM components, working with OEM to customize a product for our needs.
- Assist with trade show booth electrical needs, using creativity and expertise to develop easy-to reassemble and easy-to understand display components.
- Occasionally attend Sales Meetings for the purpose of setting up and training the team on new and existing products.
- Visit customer sites when needed to discuss products/projects, resolve technical issues (troubleshooting) and observe products in use.
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Proficiency in use of standard test equipment: oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, electronic load
- Experience troubleshooting and product rework
- Experience with design verification testing
- Experience in PCB layout, component placement and routing.
- Experience in analog circuit design
- Experience in component selection, FETs, MOSFETs, IGBTs, Bipolar Transistors, TVS, etc.
- Experience with Altium Designer a plus
- Switch mode power supply design a plus
- EMC testing, requirements and problem resolution experience a plus
- UL/ETL/KEMA experience a plus
- Even the best qualifications are not as important as attitude, participation and commitment.
- BSEE or higher
Physical Job Requirements
- The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Standing/sitting 8+ hours per day
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently job mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer and communicate with peers and co-workers.
Interested applicants who fit the job criteria should submit resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary / Benefits
We offer a competitive compensation program; which includes a benefit package including medical, vacation and sick leave.
Equal Opportunity Employer
ONCE® relies on dedicated teams of professionals who develop and maintain our global business operations, helping us identify trends and plan for the future. ONCE® is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.