Once Inc. (ONCE®) is a global leader and innovative developer of agricultural-specific animal-centric lighting systems and bio-security products. Headquartered in Plymouth, Minnesota, the fast-paced company is seeking a Mechanical Engineering Intern to support the engineering department. The person in this role should be able to actively participate in engineering duties and assist the engineers in the development of solid-state illumination devices.
The Mechanical Engineering Intern role requires an individual who can work on-site in Plymouth, Minnesota, where they will make a great impact on the ONCE® team. The person hired should expect to work on projects cross-functionally with electrical, mechanical and manufacturing engineers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This flexible, Mechanical Engineering Internship, position will have responsibilities comprised of the design and development of LED lighting systems for various applications, focused on projects testing, mechanical drafting validation and improving new and existing product lines.
- Learn products and concepts rapidly
- Able to quickly read and understand mechanical drawings
- Rapidly understand the metals, polymers, and composites used in our products
- Safely, expediently and accurately perform testing on products
- Make required design adjustments to tune and optimize mechanics and assembly for production
- Create drawings with critical details and dimensions
- Participate in individual and team idea generation
- Bring knowledge and experience to the table—if you don’t know it, take on the challenge to learn and share it
- Create technical reports and diagrams
- Participate in all portions of the product design/development cycle
- Incorporate design for manufacturing and test into current and new products
- Perform optical and thermal tests
- Assemble electro-mechanical systems and debug
- Assist in process validations for products, including the preparation of work instructions, procurement of materials, and resolution of issues as they arise in a build.
- Identify and test alternative components and assembly methods
- Perform product lifecycle testing
- Create testing plans and documents
- Assist with trade show booth needs, using creativity and expertise to develop easy-to reassemble and understand display components
- Other duties as assigned by management
- High level of attention to detail
- Quick to learn Autodesk Inventor and associated family of products
- Experience within some form of CAD (solidworks, autocad, catia, etc.)
- Experience with design verification testing helpful
- Understanding of realistic tolerancing is helpful
- Course work in mechanics, metals, polymers and machine design are helpful
- Understanding of fasteners and fastening methods is helpful.
- Proficient in Microsoft office
- Even the best qualifications are not as important as attitude, participation and commitment.
- Enrollment in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering Bachelor’s program preferred
Physical Job Requirements
- The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Standing/sitting 8+ hours per day
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently job mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer and communicate with peers and co-workers.
Interested applicants who fit the job criteria (requirements listed at https://scitechmn.org/students/ ) should register and submit a resume and cover letter through SciTechsperience at https://scitechmn.org/.
Salary / Benefits
This is a paid internship based on experience level.
Equal Opportunity Employer
ONCE® relies on dedicated teams of professionals who develop and maintain our global business operations, helping us identify trends and plan for the future. ONCE® is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.